Adams-Millis

  • 1904: James Henry Millis and John Hampton Adams found Hosiery Mills., producing 200 dozen pairs of socks daily.
  • 1913: Millis dies. Company leadership continues under sons, Henry A. Millis and James E. Millis. The company is reported to have the largest payroll of any High Point company.
  • 1928: Listed on the New York Stock Exchange.
  • 1938: Begins making nylon stockings.
  • 1941-45: Sells 37 million pairs of socks to the U.S. military.
  • 1953: James H. (Jimmy) Millis, Sr. becomes president and chief executive officer.
  • 1958: 1958: J.H. (Jimmy) Millis is elected president of the High Point Chamber of Commerce, succeeding George Lyles.
  • 1960: Begins producing socks for Hanes.
  • 1962: MAC Panel, an Adams-Millis wholly owned subsidiary, is founded. They manufacture magnetic tape for computers. NASA is a customer.
  • 1965: Sales approaches $20 million.
  • 1970: Mac Panel Co. is sold to a California company for more than $1 million.
  • 1981: Fire at Kernersville plant displaces 525 workers and causes $8 million in damages.
  • 1983: Announces an agreement to buy Silver Knit Industries, also of High Point, a hosiery manufacturer, for $23.4 million in cash and $2 million in Adams-Millis common stock.
  • 1988: Adams-Millis Board approves $80 million sale to Sara Lee Corp. Annual sales exceeds $200 million.
  • 1990: Moves headquarters to a new 58,000 square-foot building on Eastchester Drive. Adams-Millis employs 3,300 in 13 North Carolina plants and has a sales office in New York. The English Road plant is closed, laying off 150 High Point workers.
  • 1991-92: Consolidates production by closing plants in High Point, Mebane, Hickory, Kernersville and a Thomasville distribution center.
  • 1992: Fire causes $500,000 damage at West English Road plant.
  • 1994: Sara Lee closes sock manufacturing plant, eliminating 270 High Point jobs.
  • 1995: Announces closing its 429-employee Silver Knit Hosiery plant in High Point because of a decline in sales of high-quality dress socks.
  • 1996: Parent, Sara Lee Corp changes the division name to Sara Lee Sock Co.
  • 2002: Fine Furniture Design & Marketing converts the English Road plant into a furniture showroom.
  • 2003: About 150 employees at the Sara Lee Sock Co. move to Winston-Salem, this departure removes the last remainder of the once-mighty Adams-Millis Corp.
  • August 16, 2004: James H. Millis Sr. dies.


Compiled by Diane Lamb, News & Record Researcher


More pages