11th chancellor of University of North Carolina -Greensboro (UNCG)
FRANKLIN D. GILLIAM JR.
Previous position: Dean of the Luskin School of Public Affairsand a professor of political science and public policy, University of California, Los Angeles
May 2015: Named Chancellor of UNCG (effective Sept. 8).
UNCG salary:$375,000 a year (excluding benefits)
- Education:Gilliam earned three degrees in political science: a bachelor’s degree from Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa (1977) and master’s (1978) and doctoral (1983) degrees from the University of Iowa.
- Academic experience: Hired as an assistant professor of political science at UCLA in 1986 and promoted to associate professor in 1991 and full professor in 1995
- He also taught at Grinnell College (1982), University of Wisconsin-Parkside (1982 to 1983) and University of Wisconsin-Madison (1983 to 1986).
- Academic leadership (all at UCLA):Dean of the Luskin School of Public Affairs since 2008 and chancellor’s special adviser on Los Angeles since 2013
- Associate vice chancellor of community partnerships (2002 to 2008); founding director of the Center for Communications and Community (1997 to 2002)
- Associate director of the Center for the Study of American Politics and Public Policy (1993 to 1998).
- Family: His wife, Jacquelean “Jacquie” Gilliam is the executive director of scholarship and student support initiatives in UCLA’s External Affairs office. Daughter, Ariel Gilliam, 22, will graduate from UCLA in June 2015 with a bachelor’s degree in history. Son, Franklin D. “Trey” Gilliam III is a rising high school senior.
- Fun fact:His father, Frank Gilliam Sr., played four seasons in the Canadian Football League and worked as a scout and personnel executive for the NFL’s Minnesota Vikings for more than 30 years.
Compiled by John Newsom, News & Record Staff Writer