Greensboro Buildings - Historical

1. Biltmore Hotel
111 W. Washington St.
The Cone brothers established a presence in Greensboro here when they ran one of the South's leading textile companies out of this building, built in 1903.

2. Guilford Building
301 S. Elm St.
Designed as a hotel in 1927, this building was converted to office space when it was learned that a grander hotel was planned nearby. The name of the building's first tenant, Greensboro Bank and Trust, is still engraved across the building's crest.

3. Schiffman's Jewelry
212 S. Elm St.
Schiffman's is the oldest family-owned business in Greensboro and a nationwide chain of highly respected jewelry stores. Simon Schiffman came to Greensboro in 1893 when his train stopped en route to Asheville. He found a jewelry business for sale on Elm Street and went no farther.

4. Kress Building
212 S. Elm St.
This five-and-dime store built during the Depression is one of Greensboro's finest examples of Art Deco architecture. The sit-in movement moved to the whites-only air conditioned lunch counter on April 21, 1960.

5. Meyer's Department Store
200 S. Elm St.
As profits from the textile industry spurred growth in Greensboro, this 1924 building was a popular place to shop and socialize.

6. Woolworth's
134 S. Elm St.
Feb. 1, 1960, became a turning point in the civil rights movement when four students staged a sit-in at the Woolworth's lunch counter. The building has been converted into the International Civil Rights Center and Museum.

7. Porter's Drug Store
121 S. Elm St.
Writer O. Henry worked as a clerk in this building, and Lunsford Richardson made the first Vick's Vaporub.

8. Intersection of Elm and Market
This intersection became the center of early Greensboro in 1808 after the city purchased 42 acres of farmland for $98. This site was home to several of Guilford County's early courthouses.

9. Jefferson Standard Building - Now Lincoln Financial Group
101 N. Elm St.
Built by architect Charles C. Hartmann, this building is the most recognizable in the Greensboro skyline and once was the tallest office building in the South.

10. Blandwood Mansion
447 W. Washington St.
One of two National Historic Landmarks in the city, this one-time home of Gov. John Motley Morehead is Greensboro's finest restored antebellum mansion.

11. Carolina Theatre
310 S. Greene St.
Luxurious and majestic, the state-of-the-art movie theater once was known as the showplace of the Carolinas. When it opened in 1927 it was the first air-conditioned public building in the state and was the finest movie theater in the Carolinas. Seating was desegregated in 1963.

12. Cone Export Co.
330 S. Greene St.
This 1925 building, featuring elegant and masculine architecture, was the sales headquarters for the Cone Export and Commission Co.

13. Hamburger Square
South Elm and McGee streets
Cafes that stood on each corner of this park near the railroad tracks led to its being called Hamburger Square. In 1865, Confederate President Jefferson Davis set up temporary headquarters in a boxcar parked on a nearby rail siding.

14. Blumenthal's Clothing
358 S. Elm St.
Abe Blumenthal opened this store, focused on high-quality clothing for the working person, in 1926.

15. Norfolk Southern Offices
400 S. Elm St.
By the end of the 19th century, Greensboro was one of the busiest rail centers in the state. This red-brick building, built in 1899, saw more than 60 passenger trains arrive and depart daily. This heavy traffic helped earn Greensboro its nickname of ``The Gate City.''

16. Fordham's Drug Store
514 S. Elm St.
Fordham's closed on Sept. 27, 2002, after the tour was recorded. Before it closed, it was Greensboro's oldest business in the same location, founded in 1898.

17. Bank of South Greensboro
524 S. Elm St.
Despite being built to inspire trust in a time of economic uncertainty, this bank shut down in 1929.

18. Dudley Beauty College
519 S. Elm St.
Joe Dudley's life is of an inspiring rags-to-riches story of a black entrepreneur in the 20th century. This beauty college is only a small part of a multimillion dollar company called Dudley Beauty Products.

19. Salvation Army/Broach Theatre
520 S. Elm St.
Before the Salvation Army changed locations in 1985, it provided warm meals and clothes to Greensboro's lost and lonely from this building. Now the building is home to the Broach Theatre, downtown's first professional theater company.

20. Deal Printing
616 S. Elm St.
From 1948 to 1962, this building housed NASCAR's first offices. Deal Printing acquired the building in 1946 and printed the first NASCAR programs.

21. Old Blue Bell Building
620 S. Elm St.
Wrangler started out as Hudson's Blue Bell Overall Co., which had its denim factory in this 1916 building.
22. King Cotton Hotel
Corner of East Market St. and Davie St. (now home of the News & Record). Opened on January 20, 1927. It was Greensboro's first skyscraper. It had 225 rooms and cost approx. $1.3 million. It was razed on October 24, 1971.

Source: News & Record archive

More pages