News & Record


  • 1890: The Daily Record published the first issue on November 17, 1890 at 222 South Elm Street. Founders were Harper J. Elam, Joseph Reece and John Benson. The population of Greensboro was 3,317. The paper's first home was in the basement of Benbow Hall at 222 South Elm St.
  • 1901: Harper Elam sold his interest in the Daily Record. His grandson, Harper J. Elam III, "Jack" would become Greensboro's mayor in 1969.
  • 1908: Two newsmen,Walter A. Hildebrand and Crater formed a corporation (Hildebrand-Crater Company) and bought assets of the bankrupt Greensboro Industrial News.The Industrial Newshad been started by Spencer Blackburn, one-time Republican congressman, as editor, and Thomas S. Rollins, publisher, as a state Republican organ. It was sold and reorganized into an independent paper with Democratic leanings.
  • 1909: The Greensboro Daily News was founded as a morning paper with 32 pages on July 18, with 2,000 subscribers. Founders were E.C. Duncan, C.H. Cowles, Z.B. Smith, Harrison Cruikshank and W. Giles Mebane. The paper was published at the northeast corner of Davie and East Market streets by the Hildebrand-Crater Company
  • 1911: Walter A. Hildebrand became sole owner but sold part interest to E.B. Jeffress, who became part owner and business manager. The Greensboro News Co. was formed, circulation was 5,600. The new company bought the Evening Telegram.
  • 1915: Joe Reece, one of the founders died. Al Fairbrother bought the Daily Record.
  • 1916: Al Fairbrother and George Crater bought the paper on April 21, 1916, for $15,000.
  • 1918: Hildebrand sold his interest to Jeffress and moved to Washington, D.C. to become the newspaper's correspondent. Jeffress sold part of the Hildebrand shares to A.B. Joyner, advertising manager; A.L. Stockton, managing editor; and Earle Godbey, editor.
  • 1919: Al Fairbrother sold his interest in the Record to Julian Price and his associates.
  • Early 1920s: Daily circulation of 37,500 and Sunday circulation of 38,500. A three-story building was built on the corner lot at Davie and Hughes Streets (Hughes now Friendly). The building now houses the Greensboro Cultural Arts Center.
  • Dec. 1924: New $450,000 Daily News Building completed and occupied by staff. Harry Barton, a Greensboro architect, designed and supervised the building at the corner of Davie and Friendly streets.
  • 1930: The Greensboro News Co. acquired the Daily Record; the name changed to The Greensboro Record. The evening paper had a staff of eight and a circulation of 15,000.
  • 1941: The Greensboro News Company took over the Greensboro Patriot and developed it into a state farm weekly, called The Patriot Farmer.
  • 1949: The Greensboro News Company founded and operated WFMY-TV.
  • 1950: The Greensboro News Company sold the subscription list and goodwill of the Patriot Farmer to the Southern Agriculturalist, but retained ownership of the name. At the time, the Greensboro Patriot was one of the oldest active newspapers in North Carolina. The office address was 205 1/2 North Greene Street, near City Hall.
  • 1961: Carl O. Jeffress became president on the death of his father, E.B. Jeffress.
  • 1965: Ownership transferred to Norfolk-Portsmouth Newspapers of Norfolk, Va. The sale included the two newspapers and WFMY-TV. Carl Jefferess remained publisher and Frank Batten of Norfolk became president.
  • Mid 1960s: Regional bureaus were opened in the mid-1960s, including Burlington, Eden, Asheboro and Lexington. The High Point Bureau also covered Davidson County.
  • 1969: Norfolk-Portsmouth Newspapers were restructured and became Landmark Communications.
  • Aug 19, 1974: The Greensboro City Council approved the bid of the Greensboro News Company for land in the Downtown Development Area to relocate its news operation. The news company bid was $391,248 and was the only bid for the property. The property, approximately six acres, includes what was know as the King Cotton Block.
  • 1976: The present home of the News & Record, at 200 East Market Street, was completed on the site of the old King Cotton Hotel at the corner of Market and Davie Streets. On October 17 the last papers came off the press in the old building on Davie Street that was in use for 52 years.
  • March 19, 1984: The staffs of the morning and afternoon newspapers were combined and the all-day Greensboro News & Record was published twice daily.
  • 1985: More than 35 million newspapers were either delivered by carrier or bought from racks and newsstands. 52 week - 7-day subscription cost: $72.80.
  • 1986: In February, the afternoon paper was eliminated and the News & Record was strictly a morning paper. Weekday circulation: 110,715; Sunday circulation: 127,975.
  • 1992: Van King becomes president and publisher.
  • Nov. 8, 1996: The News & Record's internet sites, The Depot @ greensboro.com and News & Record Online were launched.
  • 1998:Frank Batten Jr. took over leadership of Landmark Communications from his father.
  • Jan. 11 1999: John Robinson, editorial page editor since 1997 was named executive editor.Robinson joined the News & Record in 1985 as an assistant city editor. In 1989, he became assistant managing editor for content. In 1995, he left the newsroom to serve as a company-wide coach, helping introduce team management to the newspaper.
  • Apr. 1999: Linda Austin, an editor with the Philadelphia Inquirer was named managing editor.
  • July 2003: Austin leaves and Ann Morris, a reporter and editor for 16 years and the News & Record Human Resources director was named managing editor.
  • Feb 2004: King retires and Robin Saul becomes publisher.
  • June 2007: 41 people are laid off; 11 full-timers and seven part-timers in the newsroom
  • Jan. 3, 2008: Landmark Communications announced the hiring of two investment firms to help explore business options “including the possible sale of Landmark’s businesses.”
  • Apr 2009: 25 employees; 6 from the newsroom are cut in the latest step to reduce costs resulting from the recession and its impact on advertising revenue. Publisher Robin Saul announces that the first section and the Local section will be combined into one main news section Monday through Saturday, with three newspaper sections Wednesday through Saturday: the main news section, Sports and Life/Savor.Beginning May 4, Sports and Life will be combined into one section each Monday and Tuesday, resulting in the News & Record having two sections on those days.
  • Feb. 1, 2011: Page width reduced by one and one-half inches.
  • Dec 2011: Executive editor, John Robinson resigns.
  • Mar. 2012: Jeff Gauger becomes new executive editor.
  • Jan. 31, 2013: Berkshire Hathaway Inc.'s BH Media Group announces the purchase of the News & Record.
  • Jul. 2013: News & Record eliminates 14 full-time positions. Publisher, Robin Saul said that the layoffs were theresult of operational changes and inefficiencies after the full integration of BH Media 's acquisition.
  • Nov. 1, 2013: Robin Saul, publisher, retires.
  • Nov. 7, 2013 Jeff Gauger promoted to publisher.
  • Nov. 19, 2014: Steven L. Doyle, editor of The Sentinel-News in Shelbyville, Ky. was named managing editor of the News & Record.
  • Sept. 11-13, 2015: News & Record kicks off 125th year celebration in downtown Greensboro in conjunction with the National Folk Festival with a special 'Fabric of Freedom' display.
  • Nov. 17, 2015: News & Record celebrates 125 years.
  • April 12, 2016: Publisher and Executive Editor, Jeff Gauger resigned.
  • June 6. 2016:Daniel P. Finnegan is named new publisher and executive editor.Finnegan, 53, is currently the vice president for News and Digital Audience for the Richmond Times-Dispatch, where he has worked for nearly 29 years. He starts his new role July 5.
  • Jan. 10, 2017:The News & Record announced that it is moving its press operations to Winston-Salem later this year, part of parent company BH Media Group's plan to consolidate printing for all its North Carolina papers.
Compiled by Diane Lamb, News & Record Researcher
Source: News & Record archive, Greensboro, North Carolina by Ethel Arnett

Also See Frank Batten, Sr.
Frank Batten, Jr.

More pages