Weatherspoon Art Museum

1941
Art professor Gregory D. Ivy establishes the Woman’s College art gallery in the old McIver Building. Later that year, it is named in honor of alumna and supporter Elizabeth McIver Weatherspoon.

1942
Friends of Weatherspoon Gallery (later Weatherspoon Gallery Association) is organized. It becomes instrumental
in financing art purchases.

1949
Etta Cone bequeaths 242 works collected by her and her sister, Claribel, including prints and bronzes by Henri Matisse and 10 color pochoirs , or stencils, by Pablo Picasso.

1954
Art department member
John Opper buys Willem de Kooning’s 1949-50 painting, “Woman,” for $1,800. Called Opper’s Folly at the time, it becomes the crown jewel in Weatherspoon’s collection.

1959
James F. Tucker is hired as first curator.

1960
Weatherspoon moves to the new McIver Building.

1963
Gilbert F. “Bert” Carpenter becomes art department chairman and gallery director after Ivy resigns.

1964
Herbert S. Falk Sr., gallery association president, establishes the volunteer Weatherspoon Guild.

1965
First Art on Paper exhibition.
Dillard Collection of Art on Paper is established. The Art on Paper exhibition was held annually until
2000, and every other year since.

1982
Herbert S. Falk Sr. and Louise D. Falk endow the Falk Visiting Artist program.

1986
Weatherspoon Arts Foundation created to hold title to permanent collection.

1989
Bert Carpenter retires. Ruth Beesch becomes gallery director.

1989
Weatherspoon Art Gallery opens in the new Anne and Benjamin Cone Art Building at its current location at
Spring Garden and Tate streets.

1995
Gallery accredited by the American Association of Museums.

1997
Beesch resigns to join the Jewish Museum in New York.

1998
Nancy Doll is hired as director.

2000-01
Peter Norton Family Foundation donates 17 contemporary works.

2001
Gallery name changes to Weatherspoon Art Museum.

2008
Andy Warhol Photographic Legacy Program donates 110 Polaroids and 52 gelatin silver prints.

2009
Herb and Dorothy Vogel of New York donate 50 contemporary works to an art institution in each state, choosing Weatherspoon as North Carolina’s recipient.
2013

Museum receives a $150,000 federal grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services to complete the second part of its vault renovation. Renovations were completed in 2014.

2014

Museum organizes first U.S. exhibition to explore the drawings and sculptural works of California artist Nancy Rubins.

2015

Weatherspoon is re-accredited by the American Alliance of Museums.

2016

Weatherspoon and Revolution Mill open WAMRev Gallery 1250, an art space on the first floor of Revolution Mill's newly-redeveloped 1250 building, located off Yanceyville Street. It opens with a painting installation by Raleigh-based artist James Marshall (also called Dalek), the first in a planned series of ongoing WAMRev collaborations.

The museum finalizes a five-year, community-based visioning and strategic plan to lead it into the future.

— Compiled by Dawn DeCwikiel-Kane, News & Record Staff Writer


Go Triad, Nov. 3, 2016:Exhibitions honor Weatherspoon Art Museum's 75th anniversaryBy Dawn DeCwikiel-Kane

More pages